A walk through the Brouwerskolk Park
The walk through the Brouwerskolkpark is a short varied walk. We ascend to the cup of Overveen. Then we come to the Brouwerskolk, where pure water was obtained in the seventeenth century for brewing Haarlem beer. The water went to the city via the Brouwersvaart. We also pass the Jewish Cemetery, a national monument.
Difficulty: light walk
Length: 3.5 kilometers
Duration: 1 hour
Marking: purple arrows
Starting points: Parking lot on the Brouwerskolkweg or at Overveen station Accessibility: by car or bicycle or train
Catering: in Overveen
Parking: Free, paid at Overveen station.
We follow the purple arrows from the parking lot on the Brouwerskolkweg. We soon reach the cup of Overveen. Then we descend to the Brouwerskolk. Then we cross the bridge and via the Korte Zijlweg we arrive in the center of Overveen. We reach the station, where we can also start the walk and go up again via the Tetterodeweg. On the right hand side we find the Jewish cemetery. Soon we reach the parking lot again.
In the seventeenth century, pure water was taken from the Brouwerskolk for brewing Haarlem beer. But linen bleachers also settled on the edge of the dunes. A great battle arose between the brewers, who needed pure water, and the bleachers, who caused a lot of pollution. The battle was won by the brewers and the bleachers had to disappear.
Toad screens have been installed along the Brouwerskolkweg. After their hibernation, amphibians, such as frogs, toads and salamanders can use their reproductive water without risk from the Middenduin to the Brouwerskolk via three tunnels. Small mammals such as mice and stoats also use the tunnels. The toad migration usually takes place between February and April. The combination of temperature (minimum 6°C) and humidity (the wetter the better) are important for getting the toad migration going.
The Jewish cemetery is a national monument. It was founded in 1797 by the Neie Kille (‘New Municipality’), a Jewish community that had separated from the Amsterdam High German Jewish Community under the name Adath Jeschurun (municipality of Jeshurun). Lodewijk Napoleon found all those different denominations, Jewish and otherwise, confusing and under his kingship the Neie Kille returned in 1808 to the Amsterdam Hoogduitse Gemeente. During the Second World War, the cemetery was threatened with closure and the sale of the land. Thanks to attentive officials who discovered that a cemetery may not be built on until thirty years after its closure, this did not happen.